Thursday, December 20, 2007

Six terms down, 2 more to go



ISB - A new place, a new world. 421 strangers, 356 days. This place would change my life, they had told me. And how I didn’t know then. I first drove into this campus on 13th April 2007. Didn’t know a soul. Was never a part of any Mumbai pre-ISB meets, so didn’t know my then to-be batch mates. Wasn’t fortunate enough to have anybody from my undergrad college joining me here.

One year is too short to transform someone, I thought. 8 months down and I can say I’ve been proved wrong.
What is a B-school without seniors on campus, I wondered. Now I know how this place doesn’t necessarily need that; with the alums pitching in every time you need em.
In more than 1 ways this campus has managed to challenge, if not change many of my perceptions. So while I look back now, I think about those numerous moments from the past 8 months, that have been etched clearly in my mind, those memories that I will cherish forever. The friends that I have made, the friends that I couldn’t make, the Profs that I salute to, the classes I would rather miss ;) the sleepless nights, the morning 8 am submissions, sleeping after breakfast, waking up to have dinner, the midnight snacks, the all exclusive booze parties, the poolside maggi, the spicy gossip sessions, the irony of being tagged as a Delhi-ite by Mumbai people and a Mumbai-ite by the Dilliwallas :-)

If I were to put my experience in one word, I would say constantly ‘Exploring’; it’s about exploring yourself, stretching yourself, knowing your strengths, your limitations, being able to take in stride things you never thought you could do and truly going beyond what you though (not so) do-able.
It’s been a party all the way for some, an ordeal for others, brought vacation for few, and ‘losin-it-all’ for others; But surely a challenge for all of us, that has given us the strength and confidence of being able to handle all that comes our way; And probably that’s been the most important thing. Now there is no such thing as ‘fatigue’, and no such thing as ‘being limited by time’ and when that happens, there is no looking back :-)

So Cheers! Let the party continue …

10 comments:

Quest said...

P.S Term 6 exams are not over yet ... but nevertheless

VKM said...

hmm...i have been wanting to write a post about ISB myself , but now that you have written one, let me rather comment on your post! :)
We have had some great profs, some excellent events, some amazing parties, a few good friends ..and of course, things that are not so good when it is happening but are nice "reminiscing" about ( :) ) like night outs on markstrat, more than night outs on kota fibres(!), gruesome monte carlo simulations, mind numbing back to back assignment submissions that makes us want to just collapse on the bed and sleep for 24 hours straight...
well...ISB has made us intellectually rich..true. there is no question about that. but emotionally rich? has it?
i am sure a lot of our batchmates are grappling with this same question, but, either do not want to ask it out loud or do not exactly know how to put it in words or simply do not have time to sit back and think about these kinds of things (which us mortals (like u and me), as a part of our philisophical rambings on our respective blogs, do) in between their interview and case preps and what not. No no, no offence meant to them, after all everyone gets to keep the fruits of their efforts and that is how the world works!
5 years from now, would we want to take a break and visit ISB or would we rather visit our undergrad college? am really not sure which one would make me feel good.
they say ISB makes you tough. tough in a way so as to mould you to face the gruelling 60 hour week jobs of a consultant or an ibanker or a manager. but does tough also mean losing your sensitivity? does it happen here? or am i totally out of touch with the reality?

kads said...

That's the thing about great schools...they broaden perspectives, challenge prejudices, shatter tightly-held false beliefs...to transform you into what u are meant to be! Great to know that you are enjoying every bit of it :)

and yes, all the best for ur 6th term examinations ;)

Quest said...

So true KGK;

@ VKM, in fact i would argue the other way, intellectual enrichment as u put it is just one thing, and is limited by the constraints of time.
For me it's been more of personal growth and I completely agree ISB makes you tough. And i do not mean running without sleep or trotting all across the country, I mean being able to face situations, being more self reliant, making choices and truly knowing what u can handle and what u cant.

Unknown said...

Nice post to summarize the last 8 months of craziness you have been into. It is good to know that amidst this hectic schedule, you found time to "understand" yourself, explore your strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck for next 2 and beyond!

Unknown said...

Comment to VKM's comment ---

at the first glance, being tough and being insensitive might seem to go hand in hand. But if an individual seeks, she/he can be both -sensitive and tough. A bit of "heart-thinking" (copyright -KGK) every now and then is all that is required.

Vishal Sagar said...

nice post dear. All the best for the exams.

Satish Bhat said...

I think ISB's lessons will be really understood only when we get out of here. What say ?

Quest said...

And he breaks his silence ...

Quest said...

Thanx dexkid