Friday, July 25, 2008

Food for Thought

Came across an interesting piece of political news today in the paper. And no I am not talking about the UPA confidence vote debate. Neither am I talking about how Laloo was the start entertainer or Omar Abdullah displayed his oratory skills.
I am talking about a small piece of news from our neighbor country Nepal. The news reports that Nepal has seen 3 days of continued protests against the newly elected Vice President. Reason – The Vice President took his oath of office in Hindi and not Nepali or his mother tongue Maithili. There were also reports of criticism of his style of dressing which is seen as non-Nepali, because he prefers to wear Dhoti Kurta.

Firstly it makes me sad that perhaps the 2 neighbors have not been able to build that cultural respect for each other. It surprises me that while my building’s watchman [from Nepal] conveniently talks Hindi, works in India and doesn’t see himself different from us, back in his home country there is agitation over the choice to speak Hindi. [Interestingly, the word Nepal itself has Sanskrit origins.]
And secondly, I wonder yet again about the cultural tolerance that Indians have. Something that we have always heard – whether it was giving shelter to Jews or absorbing the Parsi community or embracing and respecting other cultures. I know we are good at it . But do we over do it? Should we change with time? What do you think Nepal would do if Sonia Gandhi takes on the central role in their country’s political ruling?

<------ Interruption -->

I just received some news. More disturbing than agitation in Nepal. Brings me back to India and its cultural tolerance.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I emphatize with you completely while writing a post about something,you get slapped by the reality which isn't that rosy,unfortunately(If the causeinterruption is 'cause of b'lore)
-Sri

Quest said...

Yea that was the cause indeed.

Btw, I am not sure if I know you.

Satish Bhat said...

I wonder if the pubs are full tonite...

Quest said...

Welcome mr. Bhat ... long time.
Keep visiting!

Unknown said...

Nope.Neither do I know you.Its just that I've been reading blogs by current and alumnus of ISB and had subscribed to most of them.

Quest said...

Hey eagleeye that's nice. Keep visiting.

zoxcleb said...

and there was 2nd set of interruptions...
i think its more in the way things are projected. Sure, in the past, Indians in general showed more tolerance for things, but today, except for the major cities, its hard to find such tolerance.

a discussion with my uncle few months ago proved quite disturbing. he was telling me how when he grew up all he had were sikh friends, and he generalised it to how thats the situation all over the country.
He was shocked by my story of having not a single sikh friend, and friends from all mixes of life.

So, as I see it, this openness is more an issue of perspective, rather than a general comment one can make about the whole country.

Quest said...

I am not sure if things are changing. I think we are equally tolerant .. or rather pseudo tolerant - when we do not want to show the intolerance, if there is any.
Which is kinda equally disappointing ...