Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rendezvous with Bangalore - 1


I walk alone, amongst strangers. In a city that speaks an alien language, in a city which has its own norms. Through the hustle bustle of traffic and through the narrow lanes. Through the pallyas [locality] and through the hallis [ Village]. Along the lake, beneath the trees. Inside the market, besides the temple.

I am clearly not used to this kind of life. Here I walk, lost in my own musings. Knowing that I will not bump into any friend on the way or be greeted by an acquaintance. I am not scurrying to catch any bus/ train/ auto here. And so I walk, at my own pace, in my own world.

Nyone , relate to this ?

But slowly the city is growing on to me. I know a few people, some associations... and we acknowledge each other with a smile or a nod. Besides old TCS/ISB pals and the new friends that I am making, I am also greeted by other people who provide services…my watchman who opens the gate for me, my maid who gives me company for the evening chai, my tailor who sits down the street…

But in this unfamiliar city…things do not seem cold when I walk back home to meet the kindergarten kid playing downstairs. He always has stories to narrate to me – from school activities to the wonders of Chota Bheem – his favorite animation :-) And all the detachment disappears when a toddler walking down the street looks up and smiles at me standing in the balcony …and I wave back :-)

8 comments:

zoxcleb said...

new places, new faces, new times.
it takes a while before u "settle", and then its like a new home. the difference from school to now lies in finding people easy to relate to.

the transition, bbay-blore, is a huge one, but i did make a great circle of friends there, and i cant wait to visit it again, not only to meet them, but u as well :-)

zoxcleb said...

as for ur last paragraph....
u sound like an aunty

:-P

Quest said...

Ok ... I guess this post a lille delayed.
But the kindergarten kid in my building is still my best friend :D

Quest said...

:-) LOL

Yeah fr that kiddo I am an aunty.

Satish Bhat said...

title means there's more to follow - keep them coming !

Quest said...

I hope so :-)

VKM said...

hey..Blore is not that bad..u will luv it after an year!
otherwize hpe all is well with ya..

Quest said...

Hey VKM ... long time. How are you doin? I am liking Blore .. believe me. The climate in particular. But some incidents just leave u astonished. Check the Part 2 of this post :-)
Hows my city treating u?